Now that you've given up your traditional desk you're probably already reaping the many benefits of a healthier life thanks to a standing desk like UpDesk. And if you've tried out one of our many suggestions for working out at your stand up desk (Exercise yoga pilates oh my!) you may have just been able to cancel your gym membership all together.
But now that you're living a holistically healthier life and not always trying to find time to fit in a work out what are you going to do with all that extra time? What about that hour right in the middle of the work day that used to have you frantically running to the gym for a quick 30-minute cardio session that was barely worth the pain of re-showering and dressing to get back to work? Lucky for you UpDesk is always thinking ahead. Here are a few simple suggestions for spending that break that we call lunch:
1. Go For a Walk - You may not need a heavy workout session after adopting the stand up desk life but a quick walk is still a great way to spend your lunch break. Get outside and breathe some fresh air. If you're near a park listen to the birds chirping and the kids playing. If you're stuck in the city just walk a few blocks and check out the colorful strangers you pass by.
2. Take a Nap - Let's be honest. You know you want to. Studies show that a power nap can actually rejuvenate even the most tired of worker bees like you. Power naps increase your ability to focus and learn...just make sure you keep it to 30 minutes or less.
3. Run Errands - Need to pick up a gift for your mom's birthday that was weeks ago? Want to actually make it to the bank or post office before it closes? Spend your lunch break running errands and maybe you'll actually get to spend your nights and weekends enjoying time off rather than trying to catch up on your personal life.
4. Read a Book - When was the last time you read an entire book? Not a magazine or an article on the internet but an actual book over 100 pages. Now is the time my friend. Read a classic. Read a recent bestseller. Read a romance novel if that's what you're in to. The point is to find a comfy nook and get lost in a good story. Who knows - you may just return to your desk with an open mind and fresh ideas.
5. Eat Lunch - Stop eating at your desk while trying not to make a mess and spill God knows what on your computer. Stop eating too fast for your own good.
Eat something healthy. Get to know your coworkers. And enjoy how a height adjustable desk turns your lunch break into an actual break!