Making healthy choices can be hard. Especially early in the morning when the alarm goes off and you can barely string coherent thoughts together. But that doesn't mean it's not worth trying to start off your day right. And hopefully with a little practice healthy activities can become a habit and then you don't even have to worry about how functional your brain is in the wee hours of the morning.
At UpDesk we're passionate about good health. It's the purpose behind our standing desk. So whether you go in to work every day or work from a home office here are a few healthy morning habits to work into the start of your workday:
1. Start your morning with some push-ups jumping jacks or other aerobics (such as yoga orpilates which you can do at your desk) to get the blood flowing. You'll hate it while you're doing it but you'll be thanking yourself when you're at your desk and your grogginess has been replaced with a clear head.
2. Take time the night before to write out goals for the day. If you have a whiteboard desk this can be a great use for it—allowing you to start the following day with clear direction for the tasks ahead of you.
3. Drink a glass or two of water to re-hydrate your body before you brew your morning coffee.
4. Take a few minutes for yourself. By taking some time to read think or meditate you have a chance to clear your mind of distractions and focus on the workday ahead of you.
5. Be aware of the times that you are able to focus well and be productive and the times when you tend to feel sluggish or distracted. Understanding your own tendencies is the first step toward figuring out how to best harness your energy. Working at a stand up desk can certainly help overcome the periods where you feel lethargic.
These are certainly just a few suggestions and we're sure you could come up with a lot more if you wanted to. But hopefully this will give you some inspiration for developing some healthy morning habits into your workday.