UpDesk isn't just an awesome height adjustable desk it's a lifestyle. When you buy an UpWrite desk you aren't just getting the ability to doodle all over your whiteboard desk you get more energy and have better focus. When you use your SquaredUp corner desk you won't just look like a CEO-in training you'll be able to keep your body active with workout and dance moves at your stand up desk.
And here's one of the best benefits of a standing desk: it keeps you alive. No seriously. Sitting is actually one of the worst things you can do to your body which is why lots of experts are currently calling sitting the new smoking. We've talked about all the reasons sitting at your desk could be a silent killer but if you still don't believe us check out this informative and interactive infographic from the Washington Post about all the ways sitting negatively affects your entire body. Here's a breakdown of all the health hazards of sitting - from head to toe.
- Brain function decreases the longer you stay in that office chair. When you're sitting your body isn't active. And when you aren't active fresh blood and oxygen take longer to get to your brain making everything a bit fuzzy.
- Sitting usually equals bad posture. And bad posture takes a huge toll on your neck and back. Your neck gets strained as it cranes towards your computer screen. Your shoulders ache from slouching. Your spine becomes less flexible and its disks are at greater risk for herniation.
- Using that cushy desk chair can make the rest of your muscles limp and cushy too. Everything from your abs to your hips to your glutes are negatively affected from sitting...and with each muscle that's affected other parts of your body suffer as well. Your abs go unused and stop doing their job of protecting your back. Your hips get tighter and make you less flexible and balanced and your glutes go soft and lessen your stride...just to name a few.
- Just like your brain your legs also suffer from lack of blood circulation when you sit. If you love "cankles" (swollen ankles) or varicose veins go ahead and keep using that desk chair. If not start standing today!
- Drinking more milk might not help this time. Sitting for extended periods of time actually makes your bones softer and increases your risk of osteoporosis.
- Finally there's this: sitting actually shortens your life. So that's awesome.
The infographic gives you some suggestions on how to sit properly and practice a few stretches to help keep your body loose while you're sitting. But if you really want to stay healthy and live longer it may be about time to invest in a height adjustable desk from UpDesk... or work on convincing your boss to get one for everyone in the office. Give us a call at 615-350-7085 and discover all the ways that kicking aside the office chair and standing while you work may just save your life.