If you're a regular reader of the UpDesk blog you already know that using a height adjustable desk can change your life. Sitting is pretty much the worst thing you can do all day and with the added benefits of a standing desk - in everything from your health productivity at workand even creative energy - investing in a stand up desk like the PowerUp or SquaredUp corner desk may just save your life.But before it can save your life you have to save up for it. If you're ready to experience all the benefits of a standing desk but are still saving up that cold hard cash here are some creative ways to save for your UpDesk.
1. Enlist Your Smartphone - Your iPhone is good for a lot of things...including helping you save money. Download a free budget app like Mint or Ynab (which conveniently stands for "you need a budget") to help you visually track your spending and saving and that allow you to set goals...like aiming to buy a stand up desk.
2. Eat In - It's true that pretty much everyone loves eating out for dinner. There's nothing better than eating a delicious meal prepared for you...with no need to clean up when you're done. But it's also true that eating out costs a lot more than preparing and eating food at home. While you're saving for your standing desk try to eat at home as much as possible.
3. Drink More Water - Drinking more water is good for your health and your wallet. Not only is drinking water a no-brainer when it comes to improving your health it's also a huge money-saver. How's that for a win-win?
4. Hit Up Happy Hour - I know I know we just told you to drink more water. But at UpDesk we know the value (sometimes the necessity) of a quick drink after work with friends. If you love going out for drinks but hate spending $8 on a cocktail happy hour is officially your best friend. Do your research and find bars or restaurants that have special discounts on your favorite drinks and if you really want to eat out (see #2) look for a place with food specials during happy hour as well.
5. Clean Out Your Closet - Go through all your clothes and organize. On one hand you may find some forgotten gems that will keep you from feeling like you need a whole new wardrobe. On the other you may find something that you'll never wear again but that might make a few bucks on a site like Ebay or Twice which takes care of all the legwork for you.
6. Ditch the Name Brands - Buying off-brands can be one of the most easy and effective ways to save money. Buy generic at the grocery store - if you look closely enough the store brand is almost exactly the same as the name brand. And although it's always nice to have a popular name on our clothes the truth is that a lot of times you can find great quality clothes that look just like those name brands...at half the price.
7. Brown Bag It - Similar to eating in bringing your lunch to work instead of going out to eat everyday will actually save you a ton of money in a relatively short amount of time.
8. Watch that Fuel Gauge - Filling up your gas tank is likely one of the most major expenses you have. And while the current season may keep you from saving money by walking or biking more there are ways that you can make your gas last longer. Properly inflated tires can increase efficiency by more than 3-percent and making sure your trunk isn't weighed down by a bunch of crap can increase it by two-percent.
9. Count those Pennies - It may not seem like a big deal but your change adds up. So go ahead and dive into those couch cushions (or car cushions or any other cushions you may find). But also consider putting all your loose change into a "desk fund" coin jar. You never know that may just be the last little bit you need to make your standing desk dreams a reality.
There you have it... Nine easy steps to saving all the money you need for your height adjustable desk. And if you're still looking for ways to save up why not consider asking friends and family to help. There are lots of great ways you can fundraise for your stand up desk and with the holidays right around the corner you know what to ask for for Christmas!